Our mission is to bring together authors, readers of all ages, novice writers, listeners and learners in small, intimate settings. We are a festival of readers who appreciate discussing the ideas in literature.
See full schedule here.
- Wayfaring Strangers-A Musical Voyage from Scotland to Ulster to Appalachia: concert and presentation with authors and musicians Doug and Darcy Orr, and – via audiolink from her home in Scotland – Doug’s co-author and host of NPR’s Thistle and Shamrock, Fiona Ritchie.
All day Friday and Saturday
- 9a.m. – 5 p.m. Free readings and discussions around town
- Playback Theatre- Free improvisations about your stories
- WRITING WORKSHOPS ($30) Fiction, Memoir, Non-Fiction, Poetry
- Banquet ($35) with speaker Fred Chappell – full weekend sponsorship courtesy of Bubba & Susan Crutchfield
- Keynote ($20) David George Haskell, Pulitzer Prize Finalist for The Forest Unseen-A Year’s Watch in Nature. He comes thanks to the NC Humanities Council Pulitzer Initiative Grant.
The Saturday night Keynote is a collaboration with the AMY Regional Library System, a project which is part of the Pulitzer Prizes Centennial Campfires Initiative, a joint venture of the Prizes Board and the Federation of State Humanities Council, in celebration of the 2016 centennial of the Prize. “Pulitzer NC: The Power of Words, a multifaceted public program presented by the North Carolina Humanities Council, highlights the way Pulitzer Prize-winning journalism, literature, and drama influence our world.
Thanks to a generous donation, “The Theresa and Frances Coletta Student Scholarship”, Avery, Mitchell, and Yancey County middle school and high school students will receive admission to the Saturday night Keynote with author David Haskell as space allows. Wristband tickets must be picked up at the Festival on Saturday September 10th.
Malaprop’s, the southeast’s premier independent bookstore, is the sole vendor at the Carolina Mountains Literary Festival. This year’s authors’ books will be on sale at the Burnsville Town Center from 9 until 5 both days. Malaprop’s donates 10% of the sales to a non-profit of our choice; this year, it is the fuel fund for the Avery-Mitchell-Yancey Regional Library bookmobile.
Tickets available here now!